Wednesday, December 8, 2010

National Pastry Day storytime

In case you were unaware, December 9th is National Pastry Day and if you've been keeping up with my blog and paying any attention at all, you should know by now that I love to bake.  And a lot of picture books with baking in the story happen to have various recipes in the back.  Sooooo, I picked one rather cute book and baked the featured recipe the day before storytime to surprise my storytime group.  The first book I read was the one that features the recipe I used: Sun Bread by Elisa Kleven.  When I surprised the kids (and parents) with the homemade sun bread, they were really excited.  (Luckily, I had a leftover pizza box laying around which came in quite handy to both transport the bread and conceal it prior to the surprise.)  While we munched on the bread, we read a classic, The Little Red Hen by Byron Barton and This Little Bunny Can Bake by Janet Stein.  I was a little bummed that most of my regular storytime kids didn't come to see my surprise, but whacha gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment