Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Apple pie

I baked my very first apple pie today.  Now this may not seem like a big deal, but it is for me.  I am a relatively experienced baker and my mom makes the best apple pie ever so it seems a bit strange that this would be the first time that I have ever baked an apple pie.  However, I simply always ate my mom's pie rather than bake my own - why try to one-up something that is already so perfect?  Well, I finally decided to take on the challenge that is a delicious apple pie.  It looks and smells delicious and tomorrow, my co-workers and I will do the first taste test.

Why am I posting this to my resume blog, you ask?  Well, in addition to showing off a passion of mine - baking - this apple pie exemplifies a few very transferable skills.  First, baking requires the ability to read and follow a recipe (in the case of an apple pie, two recipes: one for the filling and one for the crust).  Thus, I am clearly able to interpret and understand directions.  Furthermore, I baked this pie all by myself, exemplifying my ability to work well independently and without constant supervision.  Granted, I have watched my mom make an apple pie countless times and, according to her, she actually taught me how to make an apple pie when I was about 2 weeks old so perhaps I had a bit of a leg up on baking this pie.  And I did have to borrow the pie plate from my mom as well, but that only serves to demonstrate my ability to recognize and utilize the resources that are available to me.  Additionally, I enjoy taking on a challenge, in this case that of baking something that I have no prior experience baking.  Not to mention the fact that I have my mom's amazing apple pie recipe and bake various delicious items frequently...often with the specific intent of bringing it to work to share with my co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment