Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bagels

Lately, I have been baking my own bagels rather than buying them.  It has actually become one of my favorite things to bake.  Bagels are really not very hard to make, but they require some time and involve a number of steps.  In any case, my ability to make bagels once again exemplifies a number of valuable skills.  As you can see from the recipe I use, a lot of the recipe involves allowing the dough to rest for a set amount of time.  And what is this but time management skills?  These bagels also require 10 minutes of kneading.  I don't know if you have ever kneaded dough or not, but after a couple of minutes, it gets pretty boring and takes a decent amount of energy.  However, I plow through those 10 minutes out of dedication to create the best possible end product.  In fact, the whole process of making bagels takes a certain amount of diligence to see the dough through the multi-step process all the way through baking it into delicious bagel goodness.  And though my bagels don't look perfect, I am nonetheless proud of my hard work...and plan to proudly devour one tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment