Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Librarians can help you avoid huge ships

For today's post, I have a couple of fun links for your reading pleasure.  The first is a project started by The Atlantic, asking readers to explain what people don't get about one's job.  If you are a librarian, or know one well, you are most certainly having a proper chuckle over simply considering the numerous things that people don't get about working in a library.  And, in fact, The Atlantic has already compiled a list of submissions available here.  You will no doubt be nodding your head in agreement as you read through people's surprise that librarianship requires a Master's, librarians don't simply sit around reading books all day, and that new technology is not, in fact, threatening the existence of the library.  These are all things that I myself have been asked and explained far too many times to count.

The second link is pretty much pure fun.  I have found it to be absolutely hilarious, so much so that I had to stop reading it on my work break because I was laughing so hard that I was worried people would come in thinking I was upset from the tears streaming down my face.  This is a compilation of the best (read: most gut-busting) reviews for the book How to Avoid Huge Ships.  It's just as funny the second and third time you read it, so you may want to bookmark it in case you ever need a pick-me-up.

Today's mileage: 2.34 mi.

No comments:

Post a Comment