Friday, July 8, 2011

Ah, predictability: museum field trip Friday!

I took a break from art museums and made it over to the American Museum of Natural History today with my roommate Genevieve.  We kinda turned into little kids over the dinosaurs.  I think there must be something about the reconstructed bones of enormous, extinct creatures that is somehow alluring to everyone.  I also managed to peek into the Hall of Reptiles and Amphibians to get a quick shot of me doing the good ol' Gator Chomp with a real alligator carcass. (I love that there's a Wikipedia page for the Gator Chomp.  I guess the Gator Nation really is everywhere.)  I will probably get some flack from my mom for not finding an exhibit of the Seminole Native Americans for a photo op of me doing the FSU tomahawk chop (I would like to note here that there is not Wikipedia page for that gesture, I'm just saying.). 
And in true female fashion, we made a point to visit the Hall of Minerals and the Hall of Gems.  It's all just so shiny and pretty and colorful.  But anyway, this museum was a rather different experience because it is so kid-friendly and visitors are not simply allowed to touch portions of the exhibitions but encouraged to do so.  Needless to say, hands-on experiences are generally frowned upon at the average art museum.

In other news, I finally got Google+, Google's developmental social networking service.  It's still in its testing phase so it isn't open to just anyone.  You have to be invited by someone who already has Google+ and even if you know someone with such a hook-up, you have to wait until they open the invitation option, which seems to be rather random and very fickle.  In any case, I am still figuring it out and the funny thing is that my friends and I have been discussing it all via Facebook and Twitter (and now Blogger) rather than Google+ itself.  I feel like I need a crosswalk from Facebook to Google+.  If anyone happens to know of such a thing, please share.  Also, should anyone like an invitation to Google+, let me know and I will do my best to make that happen the next time an invitation window opens up.

Today's mileage: 3.02 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment