Saturday, July 23, 2011

Yay for air conditioned museums!

Yes, my appraisal of museums has been reduced to my enjoyment of their air conditioning.  I met up with Anu today for a trip to the Whitney.  We had a good time, mostly soaking up the a/c, I'm not gonna lie.  My supervisor mentioned to me a few weeks ago that the Whitney recently got a new library and the librarian offered us a tour, which we are in the process of arranging.  But back to my Whitney experience.  As I always do when I visit a museum , I took a quick poke around the gift shop and this time I found something worth buying.  It was a book called I Feel Relatively Neutral About New York.  While both Anu and I are currently learning more toward the feeling-negatively-about-New-York-City side at the moment, especially considering the heat wave, we do recognize the good things that the city has to offer...like its awesome museums.  In any case, I purchased the book as a rather telling reminder of my time here.

As I just mentioned, New York does amazing museums, but there is one that I have a bit of a beef with at the moment: The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  As you may or may not know, one of my primary missions in New York has been to see Madame X at The Met - a wish that I have been unable to fulfill thus far as the wing in which the painting resides has been under renovation.  Said renovation was slated to be completed July 22nd - yesterday.  However, upon my visit to The Met today for the explicit purpose of seeing my dear painting, I found that the wing was still closed.  I am quite frustrated.  And needless to say, the heat did not help.

In another attempt to seek shelter from the sweltering heat, Anu, Genevieve, and I went to see the final installment of the Harry Potter saga: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2.  It was pretty epic.  I cried...kind of a lot.  I mean, not full-blown sobbing, but tears definitely came to my eyes quite a few times.  It's the end of an era, man. 

Today's mileage: 3.30 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment