Sunday, July 10, 2011

Oh baking, how I have missed you

A week or so ago I found out that there are kitchen supplies available to check out in the communal kitchen on the first floor of my dorm here in New York City.  Having accepted a lack of kitchen, and in turn an inability to bake, for the summer, this was an extremely exciting discovery for me.  I resolved to bake bagels at some point as those are one of my favorite things to bake, they require very few utensils and ingredients, and said ingredients do not need to be refrigerated.  My roommates were excited as well as they would no doubt benefit from the bagel-baking endeavor.  Thus, after collecting the ingredients from a number of different locations (the grocery stores here aren't what they are in Florida - read: they're no Publix), I turned over my ID in exchange for the key to the kitchen cabinets.  All went well except for a slight hiccup when it came to the amount of salt I had; a hiccup that was easily remedied by sweet-talking the RAs at the dorm front desk with the promise of a fresh homemade bagel in return for access to the staff stash of condiments.  Needless to say, they determined that a delicious bagel was worth a teaspoon of salt.  And soon the bagels were baked and two-thirds of them have already been eaten, leaving just enough for breakfast for my roommates and I tomorrow morning.  Having not baked in 6 weeks, this was a happy day for me and I look forward to doing it again.

Today's mileage: 1.11 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment