Friday, July 29, 2011

Auctions are not for me

Today's museum culture seminar brought us to Sotheby's for a mock auction.  We were each given a paddle, a mock catalog, and a budget.  My budget was $650,000.  That's a lot of money, right?  Yeah, not so much at Sotheby's.  And the catalog items were...well, let's just say they were not my taste.  I couldn't help but think that I would rather take that money and spend it at Target or Ikea or something.  Ironically, the auctioneer later said something about how when we get our own places and begin furnishing them, we should come to Sotheby's and not go to Ikea - that we should get some furniture that will gain value over time.  Personally, I just want furniture that will serve its purpose and look awesome in my apartment.  And as I said, antique colonial American furniture is really not my style.  Target and Ikea?  Yes, please!

But anyway, there was a mock auction as well.  Ok, I am not one for gambling and I consider auctions to be a form of gambling so I wasn't too terribly into it to begin with.  Wow, it was one of the most stressful things ever.  The auctioneer just kept talking, so quickly and constantly that I couldn't even process it fast enough to bid on anything.  I mean, there were only 8 items so it was only a few minutes of stress, but still, it was crazy.  But hey, now I know to avoid auctions at all costs, you know, for future reference.

Today's mileage: 3.74 mi.

No comments:

Post a Comment