Monday, July 11, 2011

A few words about air conditioning

Take note of the air around you at this moment.  It probably feels deliciously cool upon your skin despite the rising temperatures and suffocating humidity that is summer outside the comfort of your indoor space.  I bet you didn't even notice it before I said anything.  You were just sitting comfortably, perhaps you were even feeling a bit chilly (this is a shout-out to all my ALF people, by the way), unaware of just how lucky you are to be enjoying the benefits of air conditioning.  Be grateful.  Be very, very grateful for air conditioning.  Because when it's hot and you don't have it, it's all you can think about.

And indeed, as you may or may not know, my New York City dorm does not have a/c, and as you can probably tell, it is all I can think about.  I fantasize about it.  I look forward to being at work and bathed in the cool air of the library - note that I did not say that I look forward to going to work as that act of going to work entails me walking a mile in the miserable heat of the city.  And I'm often reminded that I am from Florida, so I should be accustomed to the heat.  While this is true to a certain extent, we in Florida learned a long time ago that it is best to have air conditioning wherever possible.  We have air conditioning at home, in our cars, at work, even on school buses.  In fact, the man who invented air conditioning is from Florida.  The National Statuary Hall Collection in the US Capitol building holds two statues of important people from each state.  One of Florida's statues is John Gorrie, the father of modern air conditioning.  I learned this bit of trivia on my fifth grade trip to Washington, DC and have remembered it ever since.  So thank you, Mr. Gorrie, thank you.

Today's mileage: 3.05 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment