Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday, Monday

More good ol' cataloging today.  I did, however, also start a free training course through OCLC today.  I heard that they were offering free self-paced trainings to members so I looked into it.  The Guggenheim is not a member of OCLC for at least a couple of reasons: it's expensive for one, and also there is some debate about whether or not it would be beneficial to have the collection available through WorldCat.  Why not, you ask?  Well, the Guggenheim library and archives are not open to the public for the most part and the concern is that making the catalog available in that manner would incur an influx of requests from researchers.  But I digress...  I looked into what it meant to be a "member" of OCLC in order to take the free courses and apparently, all you have to do is sign up for a free account on their website.  So sign up I did.  And I registered for the course MARC21 in Your Library Part 1: MARC & Bibliographic Info Fundamentals as I am doing quite a bit of cataloging in my internship.  The first few modules are really, really basic and I couldn't help but think, "Yeah...I just spent thousands of dollars learning all of this...."  But I stuck it out and I think I am getting into more informative sections now.  My computer decided to be quite unhappy with the course console so I gave it a rest for the day.  Tomorrow it better be ready to get back on the horse. 

Today's mileage: 3.08 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment