Friday, June 10, 2011

Museum field trip Friday!

Today was action packed!  This morning a lot of us Guggenheim interns met up at The Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit, Savage Beauty.  It was a really great show and I recommend it to anyone halfway interested in it.  The exhibit was full of great and interesting fashion and the atmosphere went along perfectly with pieces: a mix of creepy and novel.  The fashion aspect reminded me of the Grace Kelly fashion exhibit I went to see last summer at the Victoria & Albert Museum with Lynn.  

After the Alexander McQueen experience, I set off with Genevieve to find one of my favorite paintings, Madame X by John Singer Sargent, which happens to be held at The Met.  So we trek off in the direction of the American Wing of the museum only to be informed that the object of my journey is, in fact, under renovations and closed until July 22nd.  Fortunately, I will still be here then but that means I will have to wait all summer to see it!  It's a tough life, you guys.  So we settled for a trip up to the rooftop for a lovely panoramic view of the skyline:

Genevieve and I ended up leaving the museum a bit early since we were in such an Alexander McQueen state of mind and couldn't really appreciate the rest of the art.  So, we got some lunch and sat in Central Park to enjoy the weather and people watching.

Eventually, it came time for me to mosey on over to the Guggenheim for our first proper Museum Culture Seminar.  We met a few of the gallery guides who are part security, part educators for the museum.  The informed us about the gallery guide program, the Frank Lloyd Wright building, and some of the exhibits.  In particular, we saw and learned about the Guggenheim's current feature exhibition The Hugo Boss Prize 2010: Hans-Peter Feldmann which is basically a room with 100,000 one-dollar bills nailed to the walls in a uniform, full-coverage fashion.  This is a one-time exhibit, it will never be seen again after it is taken down later this year so if you want to see it, let me know.  Also, the money is all real and will go back into circulation after it is taken down in November so should you happen to come across a dollar bill after that with a small nail-hole in it at one end, take note: you are in possession of fine art.  (Ok, whatever, but I plan on taking a photo of it if I get one.)

Today's mileage:  2.77 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment